Don't Get Caught Out This Winter - More Top Tips For Winter Driving
Are you and your Citroen ready to tackle the winter weather? Whether it’s making sure that tyre treads and pressures are correct, or that the battery can withstand the cold weather, it’s always a good idea to ensure that you are prepared.
With about one third of all accidents in the winter months directly attributable to weather or road conditions, MG Motor UK has prepared its top tips for safe driving during our coldest season.
They recommend the following objects to keep in the car during the winter months:
- A mobile phone and portable charger
- A hazard warning triangle
- Hi-visibility vest
- Tow rope
- Warm clothes and blanket
- Wellington boots
- First aid kit
- Jump leads
- Food and drink
Plus these basic vehicle checks:
- It’s vital to check tyre pressures and treads (the legal minimum is 1.6mm across three-quarters of the tyre, all the way round) to ensure there is sufficient grip for poor road conditions. We recommend at least a 3mm tread in the winter.
- It takes just minutes to make sure engine oil levels and brake fluids are topped up. It’s also a good idea to stock up on anti-freeze and de-icer.
- Replace worn windscreen wipers – mud and salt can smear across the windows reducing visibility, so keep a spare bottle of screen wash in the boot. Don’t forget to clean the inside of the windows, too.
- Finally, are you visible on the road in the dark? Make sure your lights are in good working order – and clean. Even if your car is dirty, at least wipe the lights clean (and number plate) and always make sure your lights are clear of snow.